The Diary of Colonel Brandon, by Amanda Grange

Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge 2011
The Diary of Colonel Brandon, by Amanda Grange

Colonel Brandon happens to be one of my favorite Jane Austen heroes, and Amanda Grange's look into his private thoughts makes him even more my favorite.  In this heartbreaking, yet amusing tale, we learn of his history with Eliza, his first love, and her daughter, seduced by Willoughby.  Grange portrays Brandon's heartache so well with so few words, exactly like the soft spoken Colonel Brandon we all imagine.  His quiet love for Marianne, and his generosity to Edward create the character we all know and love.  I was moved by his grief at losing Eliza, but shed tears as Marianne accepted him at long last.  His fellow soldiers in India and in England, and his insufferable family complete the story of Austen's quiet Colonel, and give us an idea why he is the man he is.  A wonderful read for any Jane Austen fan, but a particularly delightful one for lovers of Sense and Sensibility.

Comments

  1. Oh thanks for the review. I may have to pick this up! Have you read any of her other stories? I got Mr. Darcy's Diary for my kindle app for free but haven't started it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I read romance novels

Getting an early start!

Piper