Ice, ice, baby!

So the adventure began Monday night when it began to rain.  As night fell, that rain turned to freezing rain, and proceeded to cover everything in sight.  Tuesday was mostly uneventful, until the sleet began later in the evening. After making an emergency pot of chili, we spent the evening watching the electricity go off and on, waiting for the  moment it would go off and not come back on.  That happened at 10:55pm.  *sigh*  Power outages don't bother me too much, because when you chose to live in the country, you have to learn to deal with these things.  What I don't like is power outages during the winter, when the temperature outside drops into the single digits.  That's what we were facing today.  We emptied the contents of our fridge and put most of it outside in a sheltered place so it wouldn't spoil.  After the genius idea of using our ice-covered gas grill burner to heat up lunch, I kept adding wood to the upstairs fireplace, and checking the thermometer to see it never get above 60 degrees.

After checking up on the status of our power, and hearing it was going to be Friday before it came back on, I seriously considered braving the roads to head to my parents house, which had never lost power on the other side of the county.  Then, a ray of sunshine in the form of a Duke Energy truck could be seen in front of our house.  Those wonderful men told us it would be a few hours at the most.  It was less than 2 hours, and power was back!  I've never been so happy to have electricity in my entire life!  Power outages during the summer are easy to deal with if they're short in duration, but winter?  No thanks!

So now, here we are...power back on, it's all warm and toasty inside, I'm on my full charged laptop and not pecking away on my phone.  I can safely say in my 35 years of living in this area, I don't remember any winter storm being this bad, and I hope we don't have another one any time soon.  There are still so many people without power; our county was the hardest hit in Indiana.  The low tonight is 2 degrees, and I hope those still without power will be okay.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad your power is back and you and you can watch from toasty warmth! This entire winter has been one surprise after the next. I'm so glad the groundhog didn't see his shadow... bring on Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our power is from a separate source than David and Angie. We lost our power within 15 minutes of them last night. We now see 2 Duke Energy trucks working on lines to our south. Hopefully I shall soon be able to rest our generator and kerosene heater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 7:15PM we have power! Thank you Duke crew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I read romance novels

Piper

End of the semester wrap up...