A long time coming....

In a little over a week, I will become one of the many who wear a St. Mary-of-the-Woods College class ring. It's a well-recognized piece of jewelry, and symbolizes my academic achievement. Of course, I've not completely achieved what I want academically, but I guess it will show that I am on my way. I've determined I won't graduate until 2012, and while that may seem a long way off, when I look at the amount of classes I have left to complete in between now and then, I start to panic...only slightly. It will pass...

This is something I've worked very long and hard for. I can't remember when I decided I wanted to go to SMWC, as I had spent time at two other local colleges trying to obtain an education. Community college- Ivy Tech- worked well, but it didn't give me what I wanted, and I could only get an Associates degree. Nothing against Associates degrees or anyone that gets them, but I wanted more, and I couldn't explain why- it was just what I wanted. I wanted a Bachelor's degree, and would have it. Ivy Tech had an agreement with SMWC for transfer students, and I jumped at the chance. I suppose I could have stayed at Ivy Tech long enough to earn the Associates and then move on to SMWC, but I had no desire to. I wanted to be back at SMWC and in the WED program, again, for good. Yes, again...I was there once before in a misguided attempt to become a paralegal. I have no idea what I was thinking, but I'm glad I came out of my misguidedness. I would have made a horrible paralegal, despite how good of a legal assistant I was. Coincidentally the paralegal program at SMWC is one of the best in the country...go figure.

It's finally becoming real, and I have no idea what to do about it. There's a reception with the President of SMWC on Thursday before the ceremony, where he will meet and greet WED and graduate students that he does not get to see on a daily basis. This is the first male president for the all women's college, and already I have seen some of his goals come to life. It will be an honor, albeit a nervous one, to meet him. I'm looking forward to meeting other WED and graduate students as well.

Anyway...here I am, 11 days from the Ring Day Ceremony, dress purchased, and shoes...well...I'll find some eventually. Here is what Caris is wearing to the big day. Now if I can just find something to wear to the reception...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I read romance novels

Piper

End of the semester wrap up...